WIJM & EFG London Jazz Fest present Women That Inspire: Improvisation Workshop w/ Charlotte Keeffe
- No reviews.
- Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club
Join us, for another of our EFG London Jazz Fest 2022 partnered events:
A workshop in improvisation for all women, non-binary people and those who don't feel seen or heard within the environment they make music in.
Open to all but this workshop will particularly benefit those beginning to explore improvisation, in their early career and find that little boost of confidence when improvising. The workshop will be lead by leading improviser Charlotte Keeffein a safe, open and welcoming space.
Charlotte is a jazz and improvised music trumpet professor at the London Performing Academy of Music. She is also part of the Parliamentary Award Winning, Women in Jazz Media team, working alongside folks to create gender and diversity equality within the music/jazz industry. Her passion for free improvisation, jazz and experimental music-making sees her performing regularly as a soloist and leading a variety of different ensembles, including her own Quartet. (The) Charlotte Keeffe Quartet (CKQ) (Café OTO, Newcastle, Birmingham, Sheffield and the London Jazz Festival).
Charlotte’s debut album, Right Here, Right Now, which features a selection of her improvised works for solo, duo, quartet and (the) London Improvisers Orchestra, it’s out now on the Discus Music record label.
Charlotte is inspired by the way painters explore colours and shapes. She refers to her trumpet and flugelhorn as her ‘sound brushes’. Her music has been featured on Jazz FM, BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 6 where she's been described as a 'prolific', 'dynamic' and 'excellent improviser!' by the likes of Corey Mwamba, Stuart Maconie and Jez Nelson.
In February 2022 she was invited to perform a solo set as part of Biel/Bienne's Ear We Are International Improvised Music Festival in Switzerland, sharing the stage with the likes of USA’s Moor Mother and Irreversible Entanglements. Charlotte was the only woman from the UK performing at Ear We Are and proudly plays in the London Improvisers Orchestra (LIO), she also leads LIO conductions and is a board member assisting the preparations for each monthly LIO concert.
‘...Keeffe shows notable strength of character as she runs the sonic and emotional gamut.’
- Kevin Le Gendre, JAZZWISE
‘…Charlotte Keeffe’s blood-red, rasping flugelhorn and trumpet blew breathy cadences and messages as if her lungs were burning with an electricity all of her own.’
- Chris Searle, MORNING STAR
‘Keeffe performs with great assurance and inventiveness and her playing in this essentially improvised context is a revelation.’
- Ian Mann, THE JAZZ MANN
*Women in Jazz Media is an award-winning organisation, dedicated to wake up and shake up the jazz industry. Spreading the ethos that there are talented, creative women/NB’s in all fields of our great community and it's time to recognise and ignite balance. With an international team, from Seoul to Athens - we create podcasts, magazines, book clubs, directories, events, and many many strides. Founded by Fiona Ross in 2019, follow us, join us and create the change you want to see. @womeninjazzmedia
Please arrive promptly
|14:00 - 16:00||£10.00|
Toulouse Lautrec Jazz Club, 140 Newington Butts, SE11 4RN
1) Admission tickets are non-refundable within 72 Hours of the event as standard.
2) Live Stream tickets are not eligible for refunds. Your live stream can be viewed at a later time if you are unable to watch it live.
3) If you are unable to attend you are welcome to transfer them to a friend in your name.
4) Please check your tickets are correct for the event you are attending as changes cannot be made
5) On busy nights small groups of 1-2 people may be required to share your table with one other small group.
6) Seating is unreserved and on a 1st come, 1st served basis; please arrive early if you have a preference.
7) Once the performance has begun, we reserve the right to fill any empty seats with people who are on our waiting list or at the door. Late arrivals will still be permitted however you may be asked to stand at the back until seating can be provided at such time.
8) Certain events require a non-talking or quiet audience. You may be asked to leave or move to the outdoor terrace should you wish to talk to avoid disrupting the experience of our other attendees.
9) Video Recording & Photography is encouraged. Please refrain from using flashes or strong lights as they risk harming our performers.
10) Attendees under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a responsible adult unless the event is strictly for over 18.
11) We operate a Check-21. If you are lucky enough to appear younger than 21 you may be asked for photographic ID.
12) Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the performer or promoter for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled you will be emailed to provide you the option to attend a rescheduled date or request a full refund.
13) Tickets are sold subject to the promoter's or performer's right to alter or vary the programme due to the events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
14) The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of patrons.
15) The promoter & venue management accepts no responsibility for any personal property.