Jive Party @ The Rivoli Ballroom
- The Rivoli Ballroom
Fancy putting on your glad rags and dancing in the fabulous retro Rivoli Ballroom – with a live band, DJs and a beginners’ jive lesson to kick the evening off? Our ever-popular monthly Jive Parties have a lively buzz, and the best jive, swing and original R&B music around. Jive Party is for beginners and experts alike. Or you could just come along, as many do, and soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the music, watch the dancing and drink at pub prices in one of the most iconic venues around. No pressure to dance - but you’ll probably want to.The Rivoli is such a wonderfully nostalgic blast from the past and, when combined with the authentic 40's and 50's sounds of live bands and amazing djing between the sets at Jive Party it really does turn into a magical night. Check out our recent customers' comments.
June 15: JG & The Ultimates
Back for a second appearance this year after storming the Rivoli in February, JG & the Ultimates provide the blistering rockin’ rhythm & blues on June 15th 2019. The band is fronted by guitarist, Jay Gipson who has been performing for 30 years in a variety of bands, guises & genres. If anyone knows
how to put on a show and keep the dance floor full, it’s Jay.
“It wasn’t until I began to play at the many vintage events that I discovered there was this whole community of people who danced jive,
lindy and swing and were also so enthused and dedicated to the ‘Vintage’ sound, dance, era & lifestyle.”
Says Jay, “I’ve always loved ‘blues, jazz & soul’ of all kinds and it’s what I’ve listened to and been into the most since I first picked up a guitar. But
it wasn’t until I began to play at the many vintage events that I discovered there was this whole community of people who danced jive, lindy and swing and were also so enthused and dedicated to the ‘Vintage’ sound, dance, era and lifestyle.”
The music and style of ‘JG & the Ultimates’ is immersed in the retro sounds of the 50’s & 60’s but with a strong leaning towards the bluesy side of rock &
roll, jump blues & R&B. The band comprises seasoned musicians who also have played and play for a long list of other well known artists including the Drifters, The Four Tops, Mike Sanchez, The Glen Miller Orchestra, Laura B, The Drugstore Cowboys, Si Cranstoun, Dexter Shaw, West Weston, Ray Gelato, Jools Holland Orchestra, JD McPherson and Barrence Whitfield.
JIVE CLASS FOR BEGINNERS
Our June Jive Party will feature a beginners’ jive class and DJs to kick off the evening, followed by two sets from the band.
FUTURE DATES: Tickets are on sale for the following....each night features a different live band.
July 20 The cadillac kings
The Cadillac Kings are firm favourites on both the blues & jump-jive scenes, and tailor-made for the Rivoli Ballroom. Six of the UK's top blues & roots musicians, playing hell for leather on the Rivoli stage - a recipe for an unforgettable night if you love to jive and swing your feet to rhythm n blues. The Cadillac Kings play music inspired by the sounds and styles of the '40s & '50s, with a mix of mostly original songs and a few well-chosen covers from the likes of T-Bone Walker, Roy Brown & Champion Jack Dupree.
"Now here’s that rare thing - a British band who can cut the mustard! Powered along by a top class rhythm section, with wild harp and standout guitar. Stick in their authentic hollering vocalist and you’ve got a pretty hot combo! They’re good!!" – Ken Smith, Red Lick Records
“Breath-taking West Coast swing, hugely enjoyable with brilliant vocals, excellent harp, guitar and keyboards and a rock solid rhythm section. In a word – exhilarating!”
Lionel Ross, Blues in Britain Magazine (Dragon Blues Fest. Wrexham)
“Entertaining, authentic & infectious - The Cadillac Kings’ high energy swinging R&B is enough to put a foaming head on a pint of real ale! This is pure good time music that left The Darlington Arts Centre audience dizzy, long after they’d left the building.”
Darrell Parsons, Blues in Britain
“The Cadillac Kings have amassed a large following which is entirely down to their own special brand of no-nonsense musicianship and sheer hard work. On-stage you get nothing less than 100 % from this band.
These guys swing like they were born in the trees!”
Judge Jones, Blues Freepress, Hull
JIVE CLASS FOR BEGINNERS
As usual the evening starts with a jive class aimed at beginners, followed by a DJ set, two sets from the band and a final hour of DJ'ing to 1am. Licenced bar.
(August Summer Break)
September 21 joey & the jivers
The feedback was simply amazing after their first Jive Party gig in February 2018 and our only regret is it's taken us so long to book these boys back for a repeat performance - all I can say they are a busy band and no wonder. Joey and the Jivers have distinguished music careers behind them and pride themselves on delivering a dynamic set of songs from the 50’s and 60’s with all the authentic sounds, feels and emotions from the heyday of rock an roll.
Band-leader Joey has a fine trained voice and loves to belt out out all the hits while at the same time his fingers fly over the keyboard of his piano. Joey is supported
by Sean on lead guitar, Steve on bass and Joe ‘the sticks’ on drums.
Joey and The Jivers come highly recommended by experienced dancers and as we've already seen, they will keep the Rivoli jumping and the floor packed.
JIVE CLASS FOR BEGINNERS
As usual, the night will feature a beginners’ jive class and DJs to kick off the evening, followed by two sets from the band.
October 19 laura b & her band
November 16 Miss annie & the midnight shift
December 21 Sugar t & the swells
|20:00 - 01:00||£17.00|
The Rivoli Ballroom, 350, Brockley Road, London, SE4 2BY
Crofton Park (Rail)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.