Jive Party @ The Rivoli Ballroom
- The Rivoli Ballroom
Fancy putting on your glad rags and dancing in the fabulous retro Rivoli Ballroom – with a live band, DJs and a beginners’ jive lesson to kick the evening off? Our ever-popular monthly Jive Parties have a lively buzz, and the best jive, swing and original R&B music around. Jive Party is for beginners and experts alike. Or you could just come along, as many do, and soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the music, watch the dancing and drink at pub prices in one of the most iconic venues around. No pressure to dance - but you will. The Rivoli is such a wonderfully nostalgic blast from the past and, when combined with the authentic 40's and 50's sounds of live bands and amazing djing between the sets at Jive Party it really does turn into a magical night. Check out our recent customers' comments.
FEBRUARY 22: The Cosimo matassa Project
Introducing a new band to Jive Party: the Cosimo Matassa Project is a London-based 5-piece rhythm and blues band who derive their name from the legendary New Orleans music producer. Matassa was critical in forging the distinctive New Orleans rhythm and blues sound that emerged from the city in the 1950s and 1960s. Hear that sound brought back to life at The Rivoli Ballroom on February 22! For a sample, check out the band on YouTube.
As usual the night kicks off with a jive class aimed at beginners followed by two sets from the band and DJs filling in.
MARCH 21: The REVOLUTIONAIRES
Jumpin' Hot 50's Rhythm n Blues!
Established within the ‘hotbed’ of the North East music scene in the UK, the Revolutionaires power out jumpin’ hot rhythm & blues in their own indomitable hard hitting style. And there's better place to appreciate this band than The Rivoli Ballroom, with its unique interior and spacious dance floor where you can strut you stuff in true 50's style.
Over the last decade The Revolutionaires have established themselves on the UK and European Rockin’ circuit, as well as the Blues scene. They have toured extensively both home and abroad, performing at festivals alongside artistes such as Jerry Lee Lewis, Sting, Tom Jones, Hugh Laurie, Jimmie Vaughan, Robert Cray, Walter Trout, Eric Bibb, Albert Lee, Snake Davis and Dave Edmunds.
Think Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Roy Brown. Then mix in some harder and more aggressive influences from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Duke Robillard, Jools Holland and Mike Henderson - now you're getting close to the sound.
The band has recorded five CDs to date, containing a collection of Hot Rockin' R&B tracks. Each CD captures the 'rawness' and sheer energy of the band, who like to give their performances a 'hard-edged' vibe!
So 'get yourself down' to the Rivoli on March 21st, 'cause, in the words of the Ronnie Molleen tune...
...." We'll be rockin' up a storm tonight! "
Jive DJs, a beginner’s jive class, 2 licenced bars and the amazing interior of the Rivoli add to the enjoyment of the night.
April 18: Sarah Mai
Introducing the second new band of the year to Jive Party: Sarah Mai! New to us but not new to the music scene, Sarah is a massive fan of vintage music and dancing so she's going to fit right in. With a powerful yet velvety voice, she knows how to deliver a song with passion and energy and supported by her excellent rock n roll musicians on bass, piano, sax and drums you are guaranteed a great night if you love your swing, jive and rock n roll.
For a sample, check out the band on YouTube.
16 May Jay G & The Ultimates
20 June Laura B & Her Band
18 July Betty & The Bootleggers
August - probably no Jive Party
19 September Miss Annie & The Midnight Shif
17 October Cadillac Kings
21 November Laura B & Her Band
19 December Joey & The Jivers
So come along to the iconic chandeliered, totally unique Rivoli Ballroom, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the music, and dance the night away.
As usual the night kicks off with a jive class aimed at beginners (8:30pm-9pm) followed by two sets from the band and DJs filling in.
|20:00 - 01:00||£17.00|
The Rivoli Ballroom, 350, Brockley Road, London, SE4 2BY
Crofton Park (Rail)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.