A Haggerston hottie with a canalside plot to its name, The Barge House is a top notch destination for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and private shindigs alike. Brimming with a laid-back air, The Barge House not only cater to hungry souls, those with a hankering for independent events and those on…
RESPECTABLE – THE MARY MILLINGTON STORY
- No reviews.
- Barge House
FILM SCREENING FOLLOWED BY Q&A WITH WRITER & DIRECTOR SIMON SHERIDAN
As the most recognisable adult star in Britain, for the past decade Mary had devoted herself to a tireless campaign for more liberal pornography laws, and for a freer debate on the expression of female sexuality.
But Mary’s sexual bravado hid a darker side. She fought crippling insecurity and struggled to find her voice in a tumultuous decade of social change. Persecuted by the authorities and threatened with a spell in prison, Mary found herself addicted to drugs. Tortured by self-doubt, she died at the height of her fame in August 1979. She was just 33. For the very first time, Simon Sheridan’s enthralling documentary ‘Respectable The Mary Millington Story’ reveals the truth behind a British icon and speaks to those who knew her best, including her family, former lovers and co-stars. Actor Dexter Fletcher narrates a story stranger than any fiction of lost innocence, fame, fortune and tragedy. This is the shocking, untold, true story of 1970s rebellion, painted against a backdrop of disco, politics and porn.
The Barge House has a special association with this story in that the site used to be one of the print factories where David Sullivan’s porn mags were printed. Mary was David Sullivan’s girlfriend and her popularity spurred sales of his magazines. The film contains interviews with key people in her life, including David Sullivan and also collates fantastic historic footage of the porn print works, footage of old Soho and the surrounding area, perfectly capturing an era that now barely exists.
Tickets are FREE but limited so book early!
Spend a dirty weekend with The Barge House on Sept 16 & 17 - Open House has NEVER seen anything like this before!
Cheerleaders can’t have showers without having an orgy – and the delivery guy usually ends up delivering extra sausage whenever a lady orders pizza. But if you think porn is tired and cliché, let The Barge House blow your mind.
Taking inspiration from the building’s past as a print works for pornographic magazines, The Barge House is hosting a weekend that will explore the history and culture of British erotica.
The event is part of London’s annual Open House Weekend, which gives Londoners the chance to explore some of the capital's most renowned venues for free.
Full details of the weekend's programme of events are listed on the website www.bargehouse.co.uk
FREE OPEN HOUSE
Film Screening + Q&A
|16:30 - 19:00||Free admission|
46a, De Beauvoir Crescent, N1 5RY
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.
If you like RESPECTABLE – THE MARY MILLINGTON STORY, You should also check out...