The Forge is an award-winning, acoustically-designed music & arts venue in the heart of London’s Camden Town. Housed in a sustainable, architecturally-designed building, The Forge shares the space with on-site restaurant The Forge Cantina. It's a unique and flexible space that creates a vibrant…
K-Music Showcase: The Barberettes + Sultan of The Disco
- No reviews.
- The Forge
On Monday 22 May 2017, the K-Music Showcase returns to The Forge with an exciting line-up featuring the ever popular The Barberettes and Sultan of The Disco.
Each year the K-Music Showcase presents exciting Korean bands in London before they embark upon the UK festival circuit. In 2017, for one night only, both groups will perform for London audiences before taking their unique styles of doo-wop, pop and funk to The Great Escape in Brighton and Sound City in Liverpool.
The Barberettes are a time-traveling girl group consisting of three lady singers. After releasing their first regular album [The Barberettes Volume.1] in May 2014, they became known for being "a time-traveling girl group reproducing the sound of 50s~60s".
They have also had favourable notice on international stages like MUCON SEOUL 2014, Tokyo International Music Market, South By South West, Hong kong Asian pop music festival, and Midem. At the overwhelming request of fans abroad, the artists performed two separate concerts in Toronto, Canada. In addition, they performed sell out shows at London’s K-Music 2015 and Brighton’s Great Escape Festival 2016. Whilst in London, the artists performed live on the BBC’s ‘The One Show’ and BBC Radio which brought them widespread recognition within the music industry.
Sultan of The Disco
Inspired by Soul/ Funk music from the golden age of disco represented as Chic, Kool and the Gang and Jackson 5, Korean indie band Sultan of the Disco plays to deliver vintage sound to modern listeners. The band was named after the song of Dire Straits Sultan of Swing'. Members include Nahzam Sue (lead vocals), J.J Hassan (dance/chorus), Ganji Kim (drums), G (bass), and Hong-ki (guitar).
Nahzam’s priority is to inherit the vintage disco sound directly from the 60s~70s soul and funk masters, while sexy, unique group dancing is purely on J.J. Hassan, who has spent more than enough years on the dance floor. Through cool, yet fun costumes that befits the visual, the band combines musical seriousness and entertainment together. When the band released their first full album 'The Golden Age (2013)', with the title clearly revealing ambition to inherit soul/funk masters, the album was an exceptional hit and was nominated at the Korea Music Awards for the best dance album.
Sultan of the Discos popularity most owed it to hilarious performances that made the band earn the reputation that whoever watches their show can’t help dancing with them. When they played at several international festivals including Glastonbury, Summer Sonic (Japan), CMJ Music Marathon (US) and CMW (Canada), all of audiences danced along with the band and made enthusiastic calls of One-more-song! Therefore BBC reporter Mark Savage said Sultan of The Disco was one of the best band at the Glastonbury 2014 and Grammy winning producer Tony Maserati decided to produce Sultans single 'SQ (We Don't Need No EQ IQ)' In 2016, Sultan of the Disco was invited by Glastonbury Festival again, and signed a contract for releasing their debut album in Japan with the major label, VAP.
The Forge 3-7, Delancey Street, NW1 7NL
Camden Town (Tube)
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.