- No reviews.
- Exmouth Market Church
Somewhere between the worlds of true storytelling and poetry, there are those who want to Tellit Poetically. An evening where two worlds collide to delight you with some of the best poetical storytelling around.
Join us with some of the best established poets and emerging talent and allow yourself to be swept into the personal lives of our poets, as they share their stories through lyrical lines and rhythmic rhymes. A wonderfully autobiographical night as our poets share true stories wrapped in rhythm.
This is one night of poetry you do not want to miss.
Toria Garbutt is a spoken word artist from Knottingley - a deprived ex-mining town in West Yorkshire. From as young as 9 she kept a diary, and wrote poetry in parallel.
Her resulting début album 'Hot Plastic Moon' is an incredibly visceral and engaging collection of confessional, observational and character based punk poetry. With a punk heritage, a staccato heartbeat and a unique flair for storytelling, her work is brutally honest yet breathtakingly beautiful.
"Toria's words are silk javelins. Frank explorations of self, outpourings of a joyfully pained mind. She means it. Cos she's lived it. I love that girl" Mike Garry
Raymond Antrobus is a Jamaican, British poet, performer and hearing aid user, born and bred in East London, Hackney.
Raymond has read and performed his poetry at a myriad of festivals, he has read internationally and is co-curator of popular London poetry events Chill Pill (Soho Theatre and The Albany) and Keats House Poets.
Raymond’s work has appeared on BBC Radio 4, The Big Issue, The Jamaica Gleaner, The Guardian and at TedxEastEnd. Sky Arts and Ideas Tap listed Raymond in the top 20 promising young artists in the UK. He is currently one of six poet Laureates for London and a Complete Works III fellow.
“Raymond uses nostalgia for a place and a time, but resists sentimentality completely. He makes the reader/listener experience the moment with all the senses and very skilfully sets that up against a harsher reality”
Jah-Mir Early is an American poet, storyteller and improv spoken word artist. His style has been described as an "impassioned, lyrical storytelling, meandering just to the left of chaos. Drawing you into his feeling and his life while examining the world with no amor, speaking like a preacher or school teacher, all off the top of his head."
Jah-Mir recently performed three nights for the BBC at the Edinburgh Fringe. Featuring during the BBC Poetry slam and as a Part of Other Voices. He lives in London where he work with SEN students and produces/host two monthly poetry nights "Spoken" and "A slam called Spout" with his team Spoken in London.
Matt Abbott is rapidly establishing himself on the UK spoken word scene. With a unique blend of socio-political commentary and tongue-in-cheek humour, he wins over the toughest of poetry cynics whilst still packing a political punch. Founding owner of spoken word label Nymphs & Thugs, co-founder of A Firm Of Poets and former Skint & Demoralised lyricist/frontman, he is currently touring the country in support of Jeremy Corbyn and is a regular hit on the major festival circuit.
"If you were seriously put off poetry at school, here's the man that might just change your mind." 5* Broadway Baby
"He delivers explosive poetry with style, heart & honesty." 4* TVBomb
hosted by poet and true-life storyteller Kate Walton
plus more names to be announced.
Tellit Festival is the UK's first ever festival of true-life storytelling featuring a week of shows, events and workshops across London celebrating 'truth' through various art-forms. For full programme information please click here
|Standard||19:00 - 22:00||£12.00|
|Student||19:00 - 22:00||£10.00|
Exmouth Market Church Hal, Exmouth Market, EC1R 4QE
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.