Mudlarking: Lost and Found on the River Thames with Lara Maiklem
- No reviews.
- Carlyle's House
The River Thames is celebrated as Britain’s longest archaeological landscape, with a daily tide that reveals a foreshore rich in artefacts naturally preserved by anaerobic mud. Mudlarks are river scavengers and Lara Maiklem is uniquely trained in the art of seeking. Tirelessly trekking across miles of the Thames’ muddy shores, where others only see the detritus of city life, Maiklem discovers Roman brooches, clay pipes, Victorian shoe buckles and Mesolithic flints.
In this talk, Lara Maiklem takes us on a journey across miles of the Thames’ muddy shores relaying her stories of objects lost and found and the role they play in unearthing evidence of England’s captivating, if sometimes murky, history.
Lara Maiklem is a British author and editor who has been unearthing artefacts along the River Thames for over fifteen years. Featured in the Guardian and by the BBC for her work as an “expert mudlarker” her book on the subject became a Sunday Times Best Seller. She now lives on the Kent coast, close to the Thames Estuary, and visits the river as regularly as the tides permit.
Tickets £15 including a glass of prosecco from https://acuriousinvitation.com/mudlarking.html
This talk is part of the After Dark series with the National Trust and is at the historic home of Thomas and Jane Carlyle in Chelsea.
|Salon Ticket Includes a glass of prosecco||18:30 - 20:30||£15.00|
Carlyle's House, 24 Cheyne Row, SW3 5HL
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.