Christine Bovill’s PIAF
- No reviews.
- Town and Gown Pub & Theatre
No glamour. No gimmicks. No pretence. Nothing but a voice, singing of life’s triumphs and tragedies.Who was Edith Piaf? And how did she come to represent the spirit of Paris like no-one before or since?
Her life is as well documented as her legendary voice - a child of the Paris streets who rose, via a tragic life of drink, drugs and death at 48, to become the best-known chanteuse in America and throughout the world. She lived the passionate life of a “sacre monstre”, loving, laughing, crying, drinking, taking and giving to excess. There were no half-measures.
Christine Bovill hated French at school; a fact she was happy to share with anyone who would listen. That is, until a chance discovery of an Edith Piaf record. This would prove a seminal moment in the life of the 14 year old girl from Glasgow- and set Christine on a fateful path through time into the world of France’s greatest musical icon.
PIAF, as much a play as it is a musical homage, is a funny, poignant and moving theatrical homage to one of France’s most endearing icons; celebrating some of her best known songs, threaded with Piaf’s story, and Christine’s own remarkable journey in the world of chanson.
An award-winning songwriter in her own right, and recipient of Spirit of the Fringe, Bovill has toured throughout Europe and the Far East with her self-penned homage to the Little Sparrow, appearing on BBC Newsnight and on BBC Radio 4’s series, Soul Music. During her Edinburgh Fringe sell-out run at the Famous Speigeltent, Bovill realised a lifelong dream when she shared the stage with Charles Dumont, great friend of Piaf and, most famously, composer of Non, Je ne Regrette Rien. They performed several songs together to close the show. PIAF was awarded the Fringe laurels for Total Sell Out Show 2011 and 2012. It received 5 STAR reviews from some of the most respected publications (including The Scotsman).
Despite the sorrow of Piaf’s story, this is an evening of celebration – a tale of human triumph over tragedy; and, at its heart, a unique performance by a woman widely regarded as one of the finest interpreters of French Song.
“Something that will stay with you for the rest of your life” Sunday Times
“Bovill's voice is remarkable, note-perfect and deftly achieving the husky, trembling vibrato needed to carry these songs “ Belfast Telegraph
“If you love music, and you want to experience something extraordinary, then run, fly, race to book your ticket immediately.” Edinburgh Festival Magazine
Admit One 7:30pm
|19:30 - 20:30||£15.00|
Pre-Theatre Dining 2 Courses
2 Courses. Set Menu.
|18:00 - 19:30||£15.95|
Town and Gown Pub & Theatre, 8, Market Passage, Cambridge, CB2 3PF
TERMS & CONDITIONS
TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and NON EXCHANGEABLE
Changes can be made to ticket purchases subject to availability and may not be an option for certain events. Changes will incur a £2.50 per ticket administration fee. This is offered at the discretion of the venue.
LATECOMERS - Please be aware that due to the intimate setting of the Town and Gown Theatre that latecomers MAY not be admitted. Please leave sufficient time for arrival as refunds will not be given if you cannot be admitted due to arriving late.
1. The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risks and danger incidental to the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior, during or after the event. The ticket holder voluntarily agrees that the management, venue, event participants, DesignMyNight (WFL Media Ltd) and all of their respective agents, officers, directors, owners and employers are expressly released by the ticket holder from any claims arising from such causes.
2. Tickets are issued subject to the rules and regulations of the venue.
3. Please check your tickets, as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
4. Occasionally, events are cancelled or postponed by the promoter, team, performer or venue for a variety of reasons. If the event is cancelled, please contact us for information on receiving a refund from the responsible party. If the event was moved or rescheduled, the venue or promoter may set refund limitations. It is your responsibility to ascertain the date and time of any rearranged event.
5. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission and may on occasion have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of the patrons.
6. Every effort to admit latecomers will be made at a suitable break in the event, but admission cannot always be guaranteed.
7. We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase.
8. Tickets are sold subject to the venue or promoter's right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets.
9. If this ticket is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the promoter, venue management, DesignMyNight or one of their authorised sub-agents, it will become voidable and the holder may be
refused entry to or ejected from the venue.
10. The venue may operate a No Smoking Policy.
11. The promoter, venue management and DesignMyNight accept no responsibility for any personal property.
12. The event listed on the purchased ticket is strictly for ticket holders who are over 18 years of age. Identification may be required.